June 3, 2019
We are always looking for good programs and conferences to share with journos in the South. Here are some conferences and events in the works:
In the South
- SPJ Florida is offering a total of $3500 in scholarships for students who are working to become professional journalists, with first- and second-place winners. Applications are due June 3, 2019 at 11:59 p.m.
- The SPJ Foundation is accepting nominations/entries for the Eugene S. Pulliam First Amendment Award to honor a person or persons who have fought to protect and preserve one or more of the rights guaranteed by the First Amendment. Entries are due June 21 at midnight.
- A mid-career editorial writer or columnist will benefit from the Eugene C. Pulliam Fellowship so they could have time from daily responsibilities for study and research. The award is $75,000. Deadline: June 21 at midnight.
- Atlanta Press Club will have a chat on “Reporting on Atlanta’s LGBTQ & Community,” Monday, June 24, at 6:30 p.m. at The Atlanta Bakery. Panelists include Dyana Bagby, former editor of The Georgia Voice, Ari Bee, local freelance political reporter, Rosalind Bentley, enterprise writer for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Jim Burress, host of “All Things Considered” at WABE 90.1 FAM, Rich Eldridge, senior editor at Vox ATL and moderator Stephanie Toone, writer & digital producer at the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
- The Atlanta Freelancers Union SPARK will be hosting a FREE program the “Finance Best Practices for Freelancers with guest speaker Renée Weese, CFP. Founder/Managing Member of Nora Wealth Advisors, LLC.
- Represent: How Hollywood is Telling the Story of One of our Darkest Moments in our Nation’s History,” featuring George Takei, will be hosted by the Atlanta Association of Asian Journalists, Saturday, Aug. 2, 2019.
- The Association of Asian Journalists will hold their national convention in Atlanta, July 31 – Aug. 3, 2018.
- The Society of Professional Journalists’ Cleveland chapter, along with other journalism organizations, will be offering a series of active shooter training workshops for newsrooms around the state of Ohio, including one on Wed. June 10. The session is free but registration is required. The 3-hour workshop will feature presentations by the FBI’s Behavioral Analysis Unit and the SWAT teams.
- The Pulitzer Center is offering conference, “Beyond Religion” on June 8-9 at the National Press Club in Washington, D.C. The conference will explore the intersection of religion with climate change, global health, fundamentalist and much more.
- The Association of Health Care Journalists (AHCJ) will be offering a free workshop, “Rural Health Journalism Workshop,” in Denver, Colo. on June 12, 2019.
- The Online News Association (ONA) will be holding their national convention in New Orleans, La. Sept. 12- 14, 2019.
- RTDNA will be hosting the Anchor & Producer Leadership Conference July 10 – 12, 2019 at Loyla University in Chicago. Registration closes June 26.
Want to share your journalism’s organization’s event or program, send the who, what, where, why and how to Valerie Wells, associate editor, at email@example.com.
© 2016 – 2019 SizingUpTheSouth.com All rights reserved. Reproduction of all or parts of content of this news site requires permission from SizingUpTheSouth.com editors or the SPJ Region 3 editorial board.
Dunten Media Services LLC produces and publishes SizingUpTheSouth.com